Thursday, July 31, 2003

RICK WAKEMAN AND BOWIE'S HUNKY DORY
The following from a radio interview with Jonathon Ross...

RW: He said, 'I've always done stuff from an acoustic guitar point of view so I want to do all these songs from a piano point of view'. He said 'so I want you to play them in the style you play and I will make the band and everything work round it' - and one by one he just kept playing these songs like, you know, Life On Mars?, Changes and I'm going......
JR: Can you imagine sitting there hearing it for the first time.
RW: And it was astonishing and I said 'David most albums have got one decent track and you've got some blinders here' I mean every track was a blinder!

Bowie remembers things differently... his response for BowieNet:

"Lovely fella, Rick, however his memory is as loopy as mine in some places. Several songs on Hunky Dory were written on piano, e.g. Life On Mars? and Changes for starters, not guitar. I played my plodding version and Rick wrote the chords down then played them with his inimitable touch."