Monday, July 28, 2003

We watched and enjoyed Catch Me If You Can recently, highly entertaining. Particularly enjoyed the 3 main actors, and lots of light humour throughout - mainstream movie, done well. I was interested to know how "true" (or not) the story was, and found this statement by Frank W. Abagnale at his consulting site, Abagnale & Associates, he're an extract...:

"I wrote the book, Catch Me If You Can, more than 23 years ago. Obviously, this was written from my perspective as a 16-year old with the help of a co-writer (I'm now 54 and I sold the movie rights in 1980). I was interviewed by the co-writer only about four times. I believe he did a great job of telling the story, but he also over dramatized and exaggerated some of the story. That was his style and what the editor wanted. He always reminded me that he was just telling a story and not writing my biography. This is one of the reasons that from the very beginning, I insisted the publisher put a disclaimer in the book and tapes."